Seasonal Jobs: Early Spring
In the vegetable garden, warmer weather encourages the growth of many vegetables. Towards the end of spring, many tender vegetables can be planted outside, provided that the frosts are over. Pests and weeds they multiply rapidly, so keep a close watch on all crops.
- Sow broad beans, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, radishes, Summer spinach, and parsnips. Make the second sewing of early peas.
- Dig well-rotted manure are into celery trenches.
- Plant early potatoes and onion sets.
- Apply a balanced fertiliser to lettuces that will be harvested in early or late spring.
- Prepare runner-bean trenches by digging in garden compost or well-rotted manure.
Excerpt taken from Gardening Hints & Tips, by Pippa Greenwood, published by BCA